Pinoys hurt in Barcelona terror attack now at 6

Three more Filipinos were hurt in the August 17 terror attack in Barcelona, Spain which claimed at least 13 lives and left around 100 people injured.

Adam Yambao and his girlfriend Jelly May Judan, both based in Milan, Italy, were buying souvenirs in Las Ramblas Barcelona when a van plowed into the city’s most popular promenade.

“Ako po ay nahagip ng furgone (van) at yung girlfriend ko naman po nabagsakan at naipit ng bakal,” explained Yambao.

Yambao suffered a foot injury while Judan got her arm and neck bruised. They reported the incident to the Spanish police but didn’t get the chance to seek the help of the Philippine Honorary Consulate in Barcelona.

They are thankful for the help of a Spanish lady and are now back in Milan.

Another victim named Jumarie “Jom” Cadman, identified by British newspaper The Telegraph as a mother from the Philippines, is currently confined at the intensive care unit at the Hospital de Vall d’Hebron. She is in serious but stable condition and was already visited by the British and Filipino Consular authorities as it’s still not determined whether she holds British-Australian-Filipino citizenship.

A picture of Jom’s son Julian is currently making the rounds on Facebook after the 7-year-old went missing after being separated from his mother during the attack.

As previously reported, the other three members of a Filipino family, who hold Irish Passports, are now out of danger. The father, as of press time, is under observation for hematoma in his kidney, and his youngest son had a successful foot operation. The unharmed mother is with them at the Hospital del Mar. Their daughter is recovering from injury and was offered a place to stay by Barcelona-based Dr. Heric de la Cruz Penetrante.

The naturalized Irish family was brought to the hospital by Naizarein Reyes Nidoy. Nidoy was shocked and shaken but managed to bring them to a safer place and later on accompanied them to a Drassanes hospital.

“Iyak na po sila nang iyak. Wag na po kayo umiyak, alive po tayo, tibayan na lang po yung loob,” Nidoy said to comfort the family.

Another Filipino who was in the area the time, Nathaniel Sisma Villaluna, had to run away clueless of what was happening.

“Talagang shock, it could happen to you. Ang una kong naisip na Barcelona is not safe anymore. Ipakita natin sa kanila na hindi tayo takot,” said Sisma.

A minute of silence was also organized in Plaza Catalunya, the main city square adjacent to Las Ramblas, a day after the terrorist attack. Chants of “No Tenim Por”, Catalan for “We are not afraid”, were heard across the square.

More than 30,000 people attended the mid-noon event including Spain’s King Phillip VI, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, and President of Generalitat de Catalunya Carles Puigdemont.

It was still not clear whether the driver of the van in the Barcelona attack was one of the five people killed in a separate terrorist attack that hit Cambrils, Tarragona, early morning of August 18.

ISIS already claimed responsibility for the attack, reports newspaper La Vanguardia. Originally published on news.abs-cbn.com

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s